Thursday, August 25, 2011

String Art with Twine.

Hello!
It's another DT day for me over at Twisted Sugar Twine!

Today, I wanted to share with you a project that was inspired from a classic toy. I am sure that most of you have played with this one time or another - it's the spirograph! Do you remember sticking your pencil in one of the holes of the gear and you let this gear go round and round with your pencil within a bigger circle stencil, while drawing a curved, geometric path. I loved the look of it, and always made me feel so artistic, although I had nothing to do with it.

So, I thought that it would be neat to create this pattern using twine. Since there is no way that I can glue down every part of twine in a geometric curved shape, I decided to "sew" this pattern onto the paper.

The holes were created using my cutting machine (you can use rhinestone option - on SCAL and MTC - to create holes for you!), but you can always just use a punch or a piercer.

Here are the cards that I made! You could even make them into a wall art, too!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Here's the instructions:

Photobucket

You can pretty much pick a corner and one hole on the opposite side or the adjoining side and start "sewing" like above. Keep following this pattern until complete. It really doesn't matter what holes you choose, it'll work out in the end, and the holes that you choose will determine how big the pattern is, and what the pattern will be.

You can get creative and do this on the circle shown below:

Photobucket

Changing colors half way will create some interesting effects, or you can even add beads in the twine.
Experiment with different shapes, and different patterns. I've shown you the basics, now be creative!

Have fun!

9 comments:

  1. Seriously cool! I tried some of this awhile back with thread but never thought of using my beloved twine :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this idea, Thienly. I have lots of old string art patterns I can dig out and use my twine to make them again. Yippee !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, this look so cool! However, it also looks difficult.. Really neat looking though! You're so creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great look- I love needle and thread- too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is sooo cool! what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So super cool sweetie...you are so creative! ;) Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, I have tried to make the circle one for three days now and nope, it is not working out for me :(

    Where did you get the template from? Or did you use your sil to design it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am so sorry that you're having troubles. I took a circle shape and then used the rhinestone feature on MTC to make dots around it. If you have MTC, I can send the file over to you, I think. Let me know.

    What exactly are you having problems with?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is the MTC? Very neat and I love how you get instant results!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails