Friday, June 18, 2010

I want a 3-D card!

We just celebrated my son's 8th birthday party tonight. Being such a procrastinator that I am, I still had not made a card last night.

SO - to make my life easier (I thought that it would make it easy... what was I thinking... was I ever wrong!), I asked my son what theme he would like for his card. I was hoping that he would say robots, cars, or anything that I could cut out with my Cricut (with my selection, I thought that I would have enough files to cut anything that he would say). Or, I was hoping for an embossed card, or with buttons, or with rub-ons, or glitter... But, he tells me "Mommy, I want a 3-D card, a pop-up card." Well, that was the start of my LOOONG night.

I guess that I could have just made some cut-outs, and put some sort of wire spring behind it to make it jump out when you open the card. My son is a big fan of Robert Sabuda, a pop-art artist, so I decided to visit his site. I was excited to see all sorts of pop-up cards that you can make - from dinosaurs, to snowman, to hearts and then I saw a birthday cake! I was truly impressed with the site as you could download the templates, print it and then cut it out.

This cake had 4 candles, but he was turning 8. I thought it would be easy to make two of these candle cut-outs and adhere onto the card one after another. However, when I did that, the candles folded up too big and I couldn't fold the card. Then I tried to glue the candles and the cake in the folded position, and then when I try to open the card, the candles got stuck inside the cake and I couldn't open the card.



After long trial and error, I realized that there was no way to make 8 candles pop-up. Then it occurred to me that I could glue the 4 back candles onto the card, and it shouldn't affect the card. That's what I did, and it worked!


I then embellished my card with stamps from American Crafts, put glitter on the flame, and it actually turned out quite decent. I was quite happy with my attempt on a 3-D card. That was quite the challenge, but I learned a lot and had lots of fun making it.

2 comments:

  1. I have awarded you two blog awards for the beautiful work you do. Stop by my blog and grab your awards to post on your blog.
    mommakcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails